The Grand Hotel Seeschlösschen in the change of time
In 1907 Heinrich W. von Oven and his wife, both being attracted to the Baltic Sea, acuired the hotel “von Oven´s Landhaus” in Timmendorfer strand. In the same year the property was expanded by owning a premises situated opposite of the street directly on the boardwalk. With entreprenuial vision Heinrich von Oven built a firm building on the dune that turned a café and restaurant and named it “Seeschlösschen”.
Good advice encouraged him to expand the building in the following year. All the creative power and imagination of the familiy was concentrated on this prosperous enterprise. The hotel “von Oven´s Landhaus” was given into other hands and the Seeschlösschen was more enlarged. A sanatarium was added, in which already before the 1. Worldwar famous bands and artists gave concerts and the Trocadero bar was added. It was a special attraction for a public in need of entertainment and excitation after the 1. Worldwar.
In 1939 the direction of the hotel was given into the hands of son Heinz von Oven who had gained the necessary qualification through formation and colaboration in the hotel. After the 2. Worldwar Heinz von Oven could re-start and in the season 1947 the Seeschlösschen shined in its full brightness.
Like his father being a far sighted entrepreneur, Heinz von Oven recognized soon the move of time to an expansion of the leasuretime offering beyond the present saison and restaurant business. With indefatigable dedication he pursuited the aim to establish a hotel. In 1952 the first and in the 1956 the second construction stage was opened. For the 50th anniversary a section for treatment of health was established and the first, still very small, seawater indoor swimming pool was opened. All those facilities made a whole-year business possible and a further enlargement of the hotel in 1972.
After the death of Heinz von Oven in 1981 Rohlf von Oven took over the direction of the hotel together with his wife Brigitte. It is their desire to continue the creation of the founders aims with the same spirit of progressive enterprise and service orientaded gastronomy. They are anxious to enrich with intuition the offer for contemporary conceptions and demands – at least as well through the arrangement of congresses, seminars and conferences.
Today the Seeschlösschen is made up of over 130 rooms with 5*****-comfort. Furhtermore in 1985 the hotel and restaurant “von Oven´s Landhaus” was re-acquired , renovated and since thenit has been directed by the family von Oven.
In the year 2008 the hotel Seeschlösschen celebrate the 100 year jubilee. On the occasion of the jubilee the name is extended in Grand Hotel Seeschlösschen SPA & Golf Resort.