x

In 1907, the Hamburg master confectioner Heinrich W. von Oven and his wife Louise acquired the Hotel Fortuna (the current "Landhaus") and a plot of land on the opposite side of the street directly on the beach promenade. He built a café and restaurant called Seeschlösschen on the property at that time and steadily expanded it.

In the 1950s, the previous restaurant business was expanded into a hotel with a spa department and the first hotel seawater swimming pool. In 1981, Rohlf von Oven took over the management of the business together with his wife Brigitte.

In the 90s, a wellness area was added. A massage and cosmetic area as well as a sauna area, a new swimming pool, an outdoor seawater pool and whirlpool as well as a fitness studio were built.

In addition, the golf courses Seeschlösschen Timmendorfer Strand and Hohwacht were integrated in 2008. Meanwhile, the Grand Hotel Seeschlösschen has 122 rooms with 5***** Superior comfort.

After the sudden death of Rohlf von Oven in 2020, Brigitte von Oven now continues the business on behalf of her husband.

Our History in Detail

  • 1907
    Foundation Stone

    Acquisition of the Hotel Fortuna (the current "Landhaus") by Heinrich W. von Oven and his wife Louise

  • 1908
    The Seeschlösschen

    Purchase of a plot of land on the opposite side of the street on the beach promenade. A building with a café and restaurant was erected on this plot, which was named Seeschlösschen. In the following years, the Seeschlösschen was further expanded, a residential building and a Kursaal were added, where well-known bands and artists performed even before the First World War. A special attraction was the Bar Trocadero. The "Landhaus" was given into other hands.

  • 1939
    Evening Restaurant Kajüte

    The rustic evening restaurant Kajüte was opened.

  • 1939
    Family Business

    The son Heinz von Oven takes over the management of the Seeschlösschen. In the same year, however, he was called up for military service. The family kept the house. The business was used by the Wehrmacht as a naval depot.

  • 1945
    Confiscation of the company

    The company was confiscated by the British occupation forces.

  • 1946
    Return of Heinz von Oven

    Heinz von Oven returns.

  • 1947
    Plan for the expansion of the business

    As early as the 1947 season, operations were back in full swing. In the years to come, the goal of expanding the hotel sector was pursued more intensively.

  • 1952
    Opening of the new construction phase

    The first construction phase with the first hotel rooms was opened.

  • 1956
    Opening of the second construction phase

    The second construction phase with more rooms was opened.

  • 1958
    50th Anniversary

    On the occasion of the 50th anniversary, a "spa department" was added and the first small hotel seawater swimming pool was built. All these facilities allow for year-round operation and further expansion of the hotel.

  • 1970
    Major Fire in December 1970

    Major fire in December 1970. Thanks to the unbroken creative energy of the owner, the hotel was able to resume operations at the beginning of the 1972 season in the form it has today.

  • 1981
    Takeover of the business by Rohlf von Oven

    After the death of Heinz von Oven, his son Rohlf von Oven took over the management of the Seeschlösschen together with his wife Brigitte. They strive to further enrich the offer with a feeling for contemporary ideas and needs, not least by hosting meetings, seminars and conferences.

  • 1982
    Opening of the Apartment Hotel Seeschlösschen

    Opening of the Appartement Hotel opposite with swimming pool and underground car park; especially for families with children.

  • 1985
    Reacquisition of the Landhaus

    The "von Ovens Landhaus" was reacquired as a restaurant business.

  • 1989
    Expansion by 15 rooms

    The hotel operation was expanded by 15 single rooms on different floors.

  • 90s
    Expansion of the wellness area

    A massage and beauty area was created, as well as a sauna area, an indoor swimming pool, an outdoor seawater pool and whirlpool, and a fitness studio.

  • 2001
    Acquisition of the 5 stars

    The DEHOGA classifies the hotel with 5 stars.

  • 2003
    Acquisition of the title "superior"

    The hotel is given the addition "superior".

  • 2007
    Andreas and Christian von Oven join the Executive Board

    Andreas and Christian von Oven join the management team in the family business - they took over in 2009.

  • 2008
    Acquisition of the golf course Seeschlösschen Timmendorfer Strand by Rohlf von Oven

    The golf course in Timmendorfer Strand is incorporated into the company. The Grand Hotel Seeschlösschen now has 2x 18-hole golf courses, one of the largest golf courses in northern Germany.

  • 2009
    Opening Hotel Golfresidenz

    Opening of the Hotel Golfresidenz directly on the golf course with 18 hotel rooms.

  • 2012
    Opening of the driving range and start of construction of the Hotel Seehuus

    Opening of the double-storey driving range. Start of construction of the Hotel Seehuus.

  • 2014
    Opening of Hotel Seehus

    Opening of the Hotel Seehuus with 74 hotel rooms.

  • 2015
    Acquisition and reopening of the Strandschlösschen Hotel

    Acquisition and reopening of the Strandschlösschen Hotel in Lübeck-Travemünde.

  • 2016
    Restaurant Balthazar is awarded a Michelin star

    The Balthazar restaurant at Villa Mare is awarded a Michelin star.

  • 2017
    Extension of the Hotel Golfresidenz

    The Hotel Golfresidenz is expanded. It now has a wellness area and 66 hotel rooms and is renamed "Golfresidenz Golf- und Wellnessresort".

  • 2020
    Change of Management

    Following the resignation of Andreas and Christian von Oven from the management and the sudden death of Rohlf von Oven, Alexandra von Oven-Batsch and Brigitte von Oven are now continuing the business.

  • 2021
    Modernisation of the SPA area

    During the Corona pandemic, time was wisely used to modernise the SPA area.